Saisei Network Performance Enforcement software provides NHN Entertainment sub-second micro-flow visibility, control and security
Sunnyvale, CA — January 13th, 2016
With more than 290,000 users worldwide using its popular gaming software, NHN Entertainment Corporation needs to know in detail what’s happening on their network, every second, to be able to deliver an incredibly fast and consistent gaming performance that scales to their users’ demands. Saisei today announced that NHN Entertainment has selected Saisei’s Network Performance Enforcement (NPE) software to gain the granular, real-time visibility, control and security they need to provide a great gaming experience to their users and to grow their business worldwide.
Saisei’s FlowCommand NPE software provides unsurpassed network visibility, analytics and control, supporting up to 5 million flows, one billion individually tracked external hosts, and millions of distinct applications on Mobile, Cloud, SDN and NFV networks. Using FlowCommand, NHN Entertainment is now able to see detailed statistics across their network, in particular the traffic spread from different countries on a per-user basis so they can identify how much traffic or flows are coming into each of their 4,000 game servers.
The Saisei software enables the company to check their network infrastructure capacity and use the data for future capacity planning. They can increase link capacity where gaming application performance is sub-optimal, particularly from overseas countries. The FlowCommand software gives them the instant, overall view of their service infrastructure they require for better application response time for their globally distributed mobile and online gaming users.
FlowCommand’s micro-flow level visibility and analysis capabilities also provide critical security benefits. In a recent instance, FlowCommand quickly detected and mitigated a DDoS attack to the company’s server farm — the software detected that the number of flows to a user were more than 1M (as opposed to 50K active flows normally), immediately alerted the operator, and promptly took action.
- NHN Entertainment is Korea’s third largest game company, with more than 20 million members and a peak concurrent user base of 290,000. NHN Entertainment operates internationally through affiliates in North America and Japan, and through its international game web portal, Toast.com. Its Web board; Massively Multiplayer Online Role-Playing Game (MMORPG); First-Person Shooter games (FPS); and sports, arcade, puzzle, and mobile phone games areavailable on Apple iTunes and Google Play stores as well.
- NHN Entertainment was looking for a real-time traffic monitoring, analysis and fault detection solution for their 4,000 game servers located in integrated data centers. They looked at various networking devices but most were hardware-based and costly. They chose Saisei’s FlowCommand software because it provides the micro-level, real-time visibility, control and security they require. The NPE software tracks each individual flow that traverses the network in real-time by performance, application, user, location and threat characteristics which are all used to build powerful network policies. The software’s real-time flow-based control allows IP link utilization to run 24×7 at 95%, which eliminates user application timeouts and restarts.
- As NHN Entertainment builds out their Software-Defined Network (SDN) infrastructure, they plan to use Saisei’s software for even greater visibility, control and security to their virtual game servers.
- Joohwan Kim, NHN Entertainment Infra Operation Team Leader
“Saisei’s software is critical for us. It’s helping us provide a high-quality gaming experience to our end users around the globe which is important to increasing customer loyalty and expanding our business. Saisei’s software is unique in its ability to do micro-flow level monitoring without packet capturing. Others normally do it by capturing the packets after identifying issues, but FlowCommand can just browse all the traffic flows page by page. It’s extremely easy to use. We looked at many of the top networking products but they were very costly and complex, and most were hardware based so we couldn’t utilize our unused servers in our data centers. FlowCommand was unique in that it has the software flexibility that can be deployed in any type of X86 server and provides an instant view of every single flow running across our network.”
- Bill Beckett, Saisei Founder and Chief Strategy Officer
“We’ve made considerable innovations in the on-demand analytics integrated into our NPE software. It’s great to see companies like NHN realize the value of this information and to see them using them so intuitively in their network. The speed at which they can create customized dashboards and find network issues is fantastic. It’s wonderful to see the difference our software is making to NHN and their customers.”
Saisei is a Sunnyvale, California-based software company that is revolutionizing network visibility, analysis and control for the challenges that mobility, cloud, SDN, NFV, and the Internet of Things are bringing to networks today. Its scalable, real-time Network Performance Enforcement software solutions provide the speed and smarts needed to instantly analyze and enforce policy on the millions of applications, users, and devices populating networks today. Enterprises and service providers can now use their full network bandwidth knowing that unexpected traffic surges are automatically accommodated and all user traffic will get through even the busiest of network links with no dropped sessions, resulting in dramatic savings, accelerated revenue growth and a great user experience. Learn more at www.saisei.com. Connect with Saisei: Twitter (@SaiseiNetworks), LinkedIn and Facebook.